Saturday, October 23, 2010

a good beginning

This shawl is a pattern I cobbled together using the free shawl pattern as it's base.  I just love that stitch pattern, and use it as often as I think I can get away with it.  I put this together about a year ago, combining a stitch pattern from Nancy Bush's Knitted Lace of Estonia with my favorite stitch.  I snatched one of the edgings from KLOE as well, and the finished project was born.  Since then, I have knit 5-6 of these in different weights.  I give them to people I care for.  My husband gives them to people without asking me.  They just seem to go poof, so I figured it'd be a good next shawl for the project while I'm working out patterns for test knitters and preparing to knit the next 5 designs. 

Unfortunately, I am only in the beginning stages of this shawl... so it looks exactly like the free shawl pattern.  For now!  In a few short repeats that will change dramatically, so I'll be chronicalling this one more closely. 

The yarn I am using is Quince & Co's Tern in driftwood.

This is what they look like in a pile sans flash
a little dark, but not far off

Here's what the started project looks like with flash
a little bright, but look at that stitch definition.  trust me it's there.
The manufacturer suggests size 1-3 needles for this, so I chose 3.  I'm something of a loose knitter, which is good for lace.  I think if I were to work with Tern again, I'd use a size 4 or 5 needle.  I like the drape of this yarn so far, and look forward to seeing how it blocks out.

In the meantime, I'm also trying a variation using Misti Alpaca baby alpaca lace, so as soon as I get a little progress on that I will take pictures of it as well.

I hope to do a giveaway in the next week, so keep your eyes peeled around Friday for photos and info about that.  I gathered the materials today, so I should be able to put them together properly, photograph them, and write it up.  I figure to be good to go no later than the 29th.

No comments:

Post a Comment