Tuesday, October 25, 2011

how could I make you wait for alpaca?

Ok, so before work decided that they own me I did manage to sneak my boys out to see the alpacas.  For the pumpkin festival (as I think of it), a mama alpaca and her cria were visiting in front of the Spotted Sheep.

You can see the tent with the alpacas behind the yarn shop sign.

The alpacas were visiting from Destiny's Farm in Weare, which is just about in walking distance from my house.
We did visit the whole crew at the farm, but it was a dreadfully rainy day when we went so I didn't bring my camera.

I am not able to post a lot of the pictures, because I'm not comfortable with posting other people's children without permission.  But here are a few just because alpaca are almost sinfully cute!

Cria
Mama
Shorty feeding Mama
Yeah, that last picture, the focus isn't so good.  Part of it is I cropped it so the other children wouldn't be exposed on the internet. 

The fiber on these alpaca is amazing.  Most folks know that knitting with alpaca is pretty much like knitting pure love.  Soft, silky, warm, with an amazing halo... alpaca fibers are my go-to when I want comfort while I knit.

I actually have a portable project that I've knit up in the white alpaca fiber from Destiny's Farm, and as soon as I finish the second mitt off (and pry them off shorty) I will be posting about those as well. 

The couple that runs Destiny's Farm is truly amazing.  They love what they do, and it shows.

The farm is immaculately kept, the animals are obviously well cared for and their curiosity shows it.  Prey animals tend to be more cautious than curious, so them coming over to sniff you when they think you aren't looking is a sign of a very well loved animal. 

Plus, the largest ones are a little taller than me by virtue of long, graceful necks... so seeing one "sneak up" in the corner of your eye is both a little comical and very sweet.

But back to the yarn.  The yarn is usually sold on Destiny Farm's Marketplace site, but is currently available at the Spotted Sheep. 

It is spun at a local mill (I did find out where, but the name escapes me at the moment), and it's a bit of a rustic spin.  By that I mean the mill that does it has some variability in the spin of the plies.  So occasionally, you'll find areas that are slightly over-spun and occasionally there will be fat under-spun sections.  Knitting with it is a joy.  I haven't managed spinning, it's not a skill I count as mine. 

But this yarn gives me the joy and the wonderful look of a solid, well-crafted handspun for a very reasonable price.  Your finished object will be gorgeous, and being locally made, spun and sold it will also be a lower impact on the environment.  Can't beat low impact luxury!

1 comment:

  1. You are 100% right! The swatches I knit with the fiber is so squishy and delicious. I'm dying to finish up a couple of current projects so I can make a shawl for myself with the alpaca - I just have to decide what color to go with.. creams or browns... maybe if I knit fast enough I can do both.

    ReplyDelete